Yeah, it’s Thanksgiving tomorrow. No, I’m not that excited, except by the fact that I get a 4-day weekend. Halle-fucking-lujah. I’ve slowly been breaking down over the last couple of weeks and I need time away.
I’ve gotten bad news after bad news lately and it’s been draining me of energy and motivation to stay healthy. I’ve gained a few pounds and I’m just down in general. So getting excited about the holiday and all of its exhausting family glory has been difficult to say the least. I’m grateful to have a big enough family to require travel and such, but I’m just not in the mood to play all nicey-nicey with the few relatives I have difficulty tolerating.
So, as an exercise in positivity (*pukes in mouth a little*), I’m going to force myself to list out all the things for which I am thankful. Here goes…
- My loving husband and best friend, who inexplicably hasn’t kicked me to the curb yet.
- My close relationship with my mom, stepdad, sister and brother.
- My Aunt Genny, who is so like Grandma V that it makes me sad sometimes, but also makes me happy to have her in my life.
- My health, even though I’ve been lacking in taking great care of myself the past couple of weeks.
- My paycheck…let’s leave it at that.
- My pup and asshole cat – entertainment would be much more expensive without them and our home far less hairy.
- Our home and all of its mess-filled glory.
- My amazing friends, without whom I would be a total wreck and loser. Thanks, ladies. You all know who you are.
- My extended family…hitting multiple houses each holiday is stressful as hell, but it would be far more depressing if I had nowhere to go.
- My car and its awesome gas mileage.
- Free recycling pickup at my house…it’s amazing how much I cringe at the thought of throwing plastic and glass in a normal trash can.
- The fact that I am a human and not a turkey.
I’m sure I’m missing lots of stuff here, but this covers the major things and makes me feel slightly better. I just feel so blah. Not even shopping at Kohl’s last night could make me feel better, and that’s really saying something. I hope that baking tonight will help me come around a little, but who knows?
Is anyone else in a major holiday funk this year? Aside from drinking lots of wine, what do you do to snap out of it? I need to find my happy place…this isn’t quite it, though…
Oh, well…Happy Zombie Turkey Day!