I was reading stories on one of the local news station’s websites, trying to get caught up on the events in Maplewood yesterday, when I came across this story: I-Team: Toddler Scorched on Plastic Slide. Nice overly dramatic title, huh? Don’t feel the need to read it, I’ll review the highlights to save your precious time. Basically, some dumbass parents took their two year old to the park on a sunny 100 degree day and were shocked when the youngster ended up with second degree burns on his hands and legs after going down a black plastic slide. Yeah, I bolded the important details here. Now they are waiting to see if the city is paying for the medical bills that were incurred as a result.
REALLY???? Tax dollars of hard working citizens could potentially be used because some parents didn’t think to check the temperature of the BLACK SLIDE at the park on one of the hottest days of the year???? Not only that, but this is news worthy?????? Here are some excerpts that just blow my mind:
It’s a danger most of us never think about, but it doesn’t take long for the blistering St. Louis sun to heat a metal slide to blistering three digit temperatures. But what recently happened to two-year-old Andrew Ruzicka on a plastic slide has federal authorities taking notice.
Um, that just makes my brain hurts. Where are your editors? This story couldn’t possibly have used the word “blistering” one more time…and federal authorities are taking notice? Don’t they have terrorists to watch out for or something?
They could not imagine the plastic playground equipment at Corondolet Park in St. Louis would cause severe burns
Even though it’s black and in the sun? Okay.
Nurses at St. Louis Children’s Hospital were furious and tried to contact the city’s Parks and Recreation Department.
Shouldn’t they have been furious with the parents and contacted DFS? They are the ones responsible for their child being in a situation where he could get hurt. The slide really isn’t at fault here, people! In case you haven’t noticed, it’s an inanimate object…made of black plastic…that was sitting in the hot sun…
Just a few feet from the playground is a warning sign. The second item down says to avoid burns, parents and supervisors should check for hot playground surfaces before allowing children to play.
And situations like this one are EXACTLY why signs stating the obvious are needed. It’s like the tag on hairdryers…some dumbass tried drying her hair while bathing, got electrocuted, sued and TADA! A statement of the obvious now dangles from every electrical appliance I own. Unfortunately, signs require reading…which is apparently a foreign concept to these folks.
Gary Bess, director of the St. Louis Park’s Department, said the city has used this type of equipment at city parks for the past 15 years.
“It’s never been an issue. We have talked to the manufacturer. He’s going to look into it. But at this point we feel this is an isolated (incident) and again very unusual,” Bess said.
However, the I-Team has learned it is not that unusual.
Oooh, investigative reporting at its best. Seriously? There is nothing better to investigate? What about fradulent lawsuits that cost taxpayers millions each year?…
“I didn’t figure you would make plastic that would get that hot, especially for a kids slide,” said Greg Ruzicka, Andrew’s father.
Um, what? I’m no scientifical expert or nothin’ but I didn’t figure you would assume any form of plastic WOULDN’T get hot, even for a kids’ slide. I bet good ole Bush knows where I can get some of that magic, always cool plastic…I bet it’s on them interwebs I keep hearing about…
And while city attorney’s decide whether to pay Andrew’s medical expenses, the Ruzicka’s are teaming with Children’s Hospital to inform parents about the potential dangerous combination of plastic slides and summer heat.
Oh, please, for the love of all that is good in this world (which isn’t much), please don’t pay the expenses. Pay for a crash course in basic science that teaches these two morons what heat does to surfaces, and then pay for a class in parenting that teaches them how to watch out for obvious threats to their child’s well being. And if enough parents need to be taught about this to warrant a public outreach campaign, I think someone needs to sit down and hear me out on my views on government regulated reproduction. Don’t even get me started on the grammar issues throughout. My blogrammar isn’t perfect due to the nature of the medium. Professional reporting, however, should be held to proper grammar standards. Oh, wait…that’s right, this doesn’t count as professional reporting…I’m going to go stick my finger in an outlet and sue someone for it…